About Me

My photo
I'm a part-time teacher-librarian and mother of two wonderful children. My Libra tendencies compel me to constantly seek balance in my life. This isn't always easy but it's fun to try! For my mind, I have a challenging occupation, which demands a lot but is stimulating and always allows me to grow and learn. For my body, I love to skate-ski and I'm an avid "spinner". I jog and do other fitness activities because I have to. For my spirit, I enjoy reading great books, and sharing time with a beautiful, inspiring group of women. My greatest joy comes from time spent with my amazing husband and family.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Week 3-Response to readings: Prensky, backup or best method?

I just read the Prensky article, "Backup Education" for the second time today. As this was the first article I read this morning, I wanted to give myself an opportunity to reevaluate and "re-respond" in light of subsequent readings about Library 2.0 and its role in 21st century learning. For the second time today, I felt quite disturbed. I believe that Prensky does make some very interesting arguments for his "Backup Education" position. His sundial/watch analogy certainly helped me wrap my head around his basics versus best method idea. Some of Prensky's statements make a lot of sense. I have been party to discussions with certain "old school" teachers about calculators for example. I myself have made the argument that calculators are a desirable tool and will in fact not undermine a student's ability to do math. My rationale was one that Prensky argues as well. You can't properly use a calculator if you don't understand the underlying concept. Why then did I find Prensky's article so disturbing? Am I now one of those "old school" teachers who can't see that the best method has simply changed? Am I the only one who is shocked by the idea that we should teach reading and writing only until something better comes along? Perhaps what bothers me most is that Prensky makes certain assumptions that I find surprisingly elitist. Apparently, ALL our kids are going to have laptops, cell phones and automated cell phone wallets. He doesn't seem to take into account that technology and the ever constant need to upgrade such technology is extremely expensive. Does he consider that not all children will have equal access to these devices? At least writing doesn't require much more than a pencil. Can the same be said about his new "best method"? We already have such a division between the "haves" and the "have nots" in our schools. I am very concerned that Prensky's best methods would further widen this divide. Before we decide to make reading and writing obsolete, we'd better make very certain that not one child is left behind as a result.

1 comment:

  1. Prensky can be divisive...you raise some interesting points and I do think that balance is important. For some students, the only way they will be exposed to technology is through school (they may not have Internet at home, they may not have computers, they may not have parents who can help them with technology)...so if the school doesn't provide them with the tools and the training they need to be 21st century learners, then where else will they get it?

    ReplyDelete