About Me

My photo
I'm a part-time teacher-librarian and mother of two wonderful children. My Libra tendencies compel me to constantly seek balance in my life. This isn't always easy but it's fun to try! For my mind, I have a challenging occupation, which demands a lot but is stimulating and always allows me to grow and learn. For my body, I love to skate-ski and I'm an avid "spinner". I jog and do other fitness activities because I have to. For my spirit, I enjoy reading great books, and sharing time with a beautiful, inspiring group of women. My greatest joy comes from time spent with my amazing husband and family.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Week 2- A reflection: Social networks and Haitian relief

This weeks terrible earthquake in Haiti has led me to reflect on the role of Web 2.0 tools in mobilizing community. A couple of examples come to mind. Driving home from work yesterday, I learned on Radio Canada about a large group of youth in Montreal who, communicating through Facebook and Twitter, agreed to present themselves at a Haitian community centre (La Perle Retrouvee) to offer condolences and support. Last night on T.V. I heard that a Californian actress (sorry, I've forgotten her name) posted on Twitter that she would send a free video to all who contributed more than $200.00 to Haitian relief. I'm guessing there are countless similar ways in which Web 2.0 has expedited and heightened our response to this horrible tragedy. Haiti being primarily a county of youth ( the median age being 18.4 years according to Wikipedia), it seems fitting that the young people of supporting countries, linked through social networks, would implicate themselves so directly in this massive relief effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment