About Me

My photo
I'm a part-time teacher-librarian and mother of two wonderful children. My Libra tendencies compel me to constantly seek balance in my life. This isn't always easy but it's fun to try! For my mind, I have a challenging occupation, which demands a lot but is stimulating and always allows me to grow and learn. For my body, I love to skate-ski and I'm an avid "spinner". I jog and do other fitness activities because I have to. For my spirit, I enjoy reading great books, and sharing time with a beautiful, inspiring group of women. My greatest joy comes from time spent with my amazing husband and family.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Week 7-Demonstation of new knowledge: A quick word about Facebook and Twitter

Just a quick word on my use of Facebook and Twitter.

I had a Facebook account before beginning this course and I used it very sporadically, mostly to connect with those in my circle of acquaintances that live in other parts of the world. I must admit that I continue to use it very intermittently. Although I can fully appreciate why it is hugely appealing to my teenage daughter, it does not seem to be the way I most enjoy staying connected. I find so many aspects of the layout distracting and, although I enjoy seeing pictures that others send, I find it strange to see them with people I do not know and I wonder how these "friends of friends" would feel about me seeing them during their last trip to Vegas or on the beach in Maui. It is not that they are doing anything particularly compromising, it just seems somehow too intimate considering I do not know them at all. I will continue to explore this particular social networking tool and perhaps my sensibilities will change with experience and time.

While I have had difficulties warming to the use of Facebook, I find Twitter has some interesting advantages. Some of the tweets by the various professionals I am following have lead to fabulous discoveries and excellent resources. I cannot imagine anyone finding the time to read every message but taking a few moments to skim can provide a source of many thought provoking ideas. I particularly enjoyed how easily I could post my own Slideshare on Twitter and have it instantly available to others. I continue to find it distracting to see such messages as "I am drinking a Latte at Starbucks". The trick with Twitter, I believe, is to ensure that you only follow those you would find inspiring in the real world, those with whom you share common interests and agendas. By making serious, thoughtful choices about those you follow, Twitter can provide a wonderful opportunity for professional enrichment and growth.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Patrice-I agree with you that twitter has an important place in professional enrichment and growth. Yes, the "I'm drinking a lattee at starbucks" is probably not the most enriching tweet, but if you follow people that you find interesting or inspiring in some way, you will no doubt learn a lot using twitter. I'm glad you were willing to take the risk and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete