About Me

My photo
I'm a part-time teacher-librarian and mother of two wonderful children. My Libra tendencies compel me to constantly seek balance in my life. This isn't always easy but it's fun to try! For my mind, I have a challenging occupation, which demands a lot but is stimulating and always allows me to grow and learn. For my body, I love to skate-ski and I'm an avid "spinner". I jog and do other fitness activities because I have to. For my spirit, I enjoy reading great books, and sharing time with a beautiful, inspiring group of women. My greatest joy comes from time spent with my amazing husband and family.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Week 5-Response to readings: More thoughts on Web 2.0 The Sleep of Reason Part I

This comment was one I made to a course-mate after reading Web 2.0 The Sleep of Reason Part I (Michael Gorman) and Will Richardson's chapter on Weblogs, Pedagogy and Practice from his book Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. I thought it was worth noting here if for no other reason than to chart the evolution of my thoughts throughout this course:

As you point out Aaron, it is now so quick and easy to publish and/or access information online, while checking, authenticating, and legitimizing this information is much more time consuming. Will Richardson addresses this in this book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. On page 37, he writes: ..getting a handle on the reliability of Web content in general and blog content specifically takes time, much more than you or your students are used to. He goes on to describe specific steps in the assessment process. This definitely underscores the importance of the teacher/TL as "guide". What I wonder is how many users, so used to "quick fix" access to information, would be prepared to undertake the arduous task of verifying its reliability. I think Gorman makes some excellent points.

No comments:

Post a Comment