About Me

My photo
I'm a part-time teacher-librarian and mother of two wonderful children. My Libra tendencies compel me to constantly seek balance in my life. This isn't always easy but it's fun to try! For my mind, I have a challenging occupation, which demands a lot but is stimulating and always allows me to grow and learn. For my body, I love to skate-ski and I'm an avid "spinner". I jog and do other fitness activities because I have to. For my spirit, I enjoy reading great books, and sharing time with a beautiful, inspiring group of women. My greatest joy comes from time spent with my amazing husband and family.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Week 10-Demonstration of new knowledge: My first podcast

As my demonstration of new knowledge for Lesson 10, I thought it would be a good idea to create a podcast and incorporate it into my blog post. Before beginning this somewhat scary endeavor , I read Will Richardson's chapter on Podcasting (Richardson, 2009, pp. 109-122) in Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. He has a great step-by-step on creating and editing podcasts. His information, in addition to the tutorial provided by Audacity, helped me muddle my way through the creation process. Although I need to spend more time practicing with the editing features, I found the general creation of the podcast to be relatively easy. Where I ran into difficulty was with the publishing. Will Richardson suggested using OurMedia.org to store the MP3 I created. He stated that the trick was to get a "unique URL that is assigned to the file to create a direct link to it in your blog" (Richardson, 2009, p. 118). Easier said than done Will! I spent well over an hour and could not get OurMedia to do what I needed it to do! I then went to Switchpod but it has apparently gone off-line. I was really getting frustrated when it occurred to me (after a desperate e-mail to Joanne) that I should use the "Help" function on Blogger and see what they had to say. Well, that did the trick! Blogger suggested a number of free hosting services and I chose Box.net. It was extremely simple to use. Within a couple of minutes I had signed up and been given an embed code for my MP3 file, which I have now incorporated into this post. So here it is, my first little attempt at audio publishing.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I'm glad you figured out how to host your podcast and embed it on your blog! Great idea to use a podcast as a way of sharing the guided reading books with your students and their parents! Well done!

    ReplyDelete